The “Coburn Omnibus” – 36 Bills in One!
Republican Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma didn’t come to Washington, D.C. to grow the government.
A long time critic of federal spending and power, he has made prolific use of “holds” to prevent legislation he doesn’t like from moving forward.
Now Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) has reached his wit’s end. He has cobbled together into one bill a long list of measures that Coburn has been working to slow or stop. He’s hoping to roll over Senator Coburn and move them all forward. The bill is S. 3297, the Advancing America’s Priorities Act. But the nickname it has gotten is the “Coburn Omnibus.”
Majority Leader Reid is expected to try to bring the bill to the Senate floor later this week.
We have done our best to figure out which bills have been rolled into the Coburn Omnibus, using a copy of the bill he posted on his Web site. Thirty-six bills are listed below. The last would authorize the construction of a greenhouse in Suitland, Maryland.
Coburn has reportedly said the bills in the Coburn Omnibus would create 77 new federal programs. By our count, passage of the Coburn Omnibus would spend just under $65 per U.S. family, though six of the bills do not have cost estimates.
[UPDATE: Staff for Senator Coburn have noted to me that they count 35 programs the bill would create. The 77 number reported on FoxNews.com is the number of total programs Coburn has been holding up. Our count of 36 comes from treating an ocean exploration bill and an ocean mapping bill as separate.]
- S. 1382, the ALS Registry Act – $0.62
- S. 1183, the Christoper and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act – $0.85
- S. 999, the Stroke Treatment and Ongoing Prevention Act
- H.R. 20, the Melanie Blocker Stokes MOTHERS Act – $0.16
- S. 1117, the Vision Care for Kids Act of 2008
- S. 1810, the Prenatally and Postnatally Diagnosed Conditions Awareness Act – $0.17
- H.R. 5524, the Reconnecting Homeless Youth Act of 2008
- S. 535, the Emmett Till Unsolved Civil Rights Crimes Act of 2007 – $0.58
- S. 2304, the Mentally Ill Offender Treatment and Crime Reduction Reauthorization and Improvement Act of 2008 – $4.34
- H.R. 4120, the Effective Child Pornography Prosecution Act of 2007
- H.R. 4136, the Enhancing the Effective Prosecution of Child Pornography Act of 2007
- S. 1210, the Drug Endangered Children Act of 2007 – $0.18
- S. 1079, the Star-Spangled Banner and War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission Act – $0.03
- S. 1738, the PROTECT Our Children Act of 2008 (Combating Child Exploitation Act of 2007) – $4.93
ENVIRONMENT AND PUBLIC WORKS PROVSIONS
- H.R. 2964, the Captive Primate Safety Act – $0.15
- S. 2707, the Chesapeake Bay Gateways and Watertrails Network Continuing Authorization Act – $0.04
- S. 2844, the Beach Protection Act of 2008 – $2.56
- S. 496, the Appalachian Regional Development Act Amendments of 2008
FOREIGN RELATIONS PROVISIONS
- H.R. 1469, the Senator Paul Simon Study Abroad Foundation Act of 2008 – $3.76
- H.R. 1084, the Reconstruction and Stabilization Civilian Management Act of 2008 – $5.75
- H.R. 2798, the Overseas Private Investment Corporation Reauthorization of Act of 2008 – $0.66
- S. 2020, the Tropical Forest and Coral Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2008 – $0.65
- H.R. 1678, the Torture Victims Relief Reauthorization Act of 2008 – $0.93
- H.R. 3320, the Support for the Museum of the History of Polish Jews Act of 2008 – $0.05
COMMERCE, SCIENCE, AND TRANSPORTATION PROVISIONS
- S. 1492, the Broadband Data Improvement Act – $1.85
- S. 675, the Training for Realtime Writers Act of 2007 – $0.62
- H.R. 3352, the Hydrographic Services Improvement Act Amendments of 2008 – $5.92
- H.R. 1834, the NOAA Undersea Research Program Act of 2008 (National Ocean Exploration Program Act) – $2.36
- H.R. 2400, the Ocean and Coastal Mapping Integration Act – $1.03
- H.R. 5618, the National Sea Grant College Program Amendments Act of 2008 – $2.69
- S. 950, the Integrated Coastal and Ocean Observation System Act of 2008 – $6.36
- H.R. 4174, the Federal Ocean Acidification Research and Monitoring Act of 2008 – $0.70
HOMELAND SECURITY AND GOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS PROVISIONS
- S. 1446, the National Capital Transportation Amendments Act of 2008 – $10.40
- H.R. 390, the Preservation of Records of Servitude, Emancipation, and Post-Civil War Reconstruction Act – $0.12
- S. 3175, the Predisaster Hazard Mitigation Act of 2008 – $6.18
RULES AND ADMINISTRATION PROVISIONS